About Me

My photo
Welcome to my blog. I'm a middle aged battle axe with a bee in her bonnet about nothing in particular. Wipe your feet before you come in and keep them off of my coffee table. And, of course, you kids get the hell off of my lawn.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Teabaggers: No taxation with representation, dammit! Wait...what?


"The protest movement that culminated with the Boston Tea Party was not a dispute about high taxes. The price of legally imported tea was actually reduced by the Tea Act of 1773. Protestors were instead concerned with a variety of other issues. The familiar "no taxation without representation" argument, along with the question of the extent of Parliament's authority in the colonies, remained prominent."

Um, guys, yoo-hoo, you DO have representation. That's what elections are all about. In a (representative) democracy, the majority rules and a majority of your fellow citizens voted for the representatives who are now in congress.

More history here:

Yes, I know it's Wiki, but this version is how I learned it in school many, many years ago.

2 comments:

  1. I think you've found your niche Cindi!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I gotta be me. ;-)

    I had no idea this was going to be so much fun.

    ReplyDelete