About Me

My photo
Welcome to my blog. I'm a middle aged battle axe with a bee in her bonnet about nothing in particular. Wipe your feet before you come in and keep them off of my coffee table. And, of course, you kids get the hell off of my lawn.

Search This Blog

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Father's Day

Cross-posted at Clark County Chatter:




When my sisters and I were little my dad loved to drive (still does) and would regularly take us out on "road trips" on the weekends.  We always loved it and got very excited when he would say, "All right, everybody, let's go for a ride."  Sometimes we knew what our destination was going to be...a lot of times we just got in the car and headed out...



We had a red 1965 Mustang like the one above when I was a little girl and mom, dad and the three of us girls traveled endless miles in that little car.  We went to state parks and nature preserves.  We grew up in Louisville and he took us to Frankfort to see the capitol building and historic sites like Perryville Battlefield Park.  Sometimes we just drove out into the country, stopping at little stands/restaurants to catch a bite to eat.

Later on dad bought a Plymouth Gran Coupe.  It was HUGE and had AIR CONDITIONING!!!  I found a picture of one that looks just like ours did:



With that car we went on a road trip out west and crammed in every site we could - we took a northwest course first to California and then took a southerly route back home.  Some of the things we saw/visited: The Corn Palace, Hoover Dam, the Badlands, Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone, Yosemite, San Francisco, Sequoia, Death Valley, Las Vegas, the great Meteor Crater in Arizona, the Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Painted Desert - and more.

I'll always be grateful to my parents for that trip, and to my dad for all the other weekend road trip adventures he took us on.  They left me with some of the best, sweetest memories of my life.

2 comments:

  1. God Blessed you with a wonderful dad, I'm happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fathers Day is over, post something new. Amy

    ReplyDelete